Can’t be bothered with cooking breakfast over the next week? Whip these up over the weekend and make them the perfect healthy alternative to store-bought muesli bars.
They’re rich in protein, high in antioxidants, lunchbox-friendly (for kids and you!) and did I mention delicious?
Recipe is brought to you by our in-house nutritionist, Steph from The Natural Nutritionist.
Give it a try and share the photo of the end product on Instagram, Twitter or Instagram – remember to hashtag #APCooks.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat grill.
- Place quinoa, coconut, almonds and seeds onto a lightly greased baking tray and toast for 5 minutes, stirring mid-way.
- Pour toasted mix into a large bowl and stir through goji berries.
- In a medium saucepan, add rice malt syrup, salt and vanilla and bring to the boil (about 4-5 minutes until thick), stirring constantly. Your syrup should be thick and golden, but take care not to overcook as it will burn.
- Pour hot syrup over dry mix and combine thoroughly.
- Line a cookie sheet pan or cake/bread tin with greaseproof paper, or lightly coat in coconut oil.
- Transfer mixture and press firmly until flat (grease your hands with coconut oil to prevent sticking).
Pop in the fridge to set first, then remove before slicing. Once at room temperature, cut into 8-10 bars. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually in glad wrap for when you’re on the go!