Ever wondered what the top nutritionists recommend for healthy snacks??? I recently had the pleasure of interviewing my nutrition idol Dr Joanna McMillan Price on her top tips for snacking. Joanna has written many fantastic books on health and nutrition. She comes from a strong research background, yet has a brilliant way of explaining things in practical terms. She walks her talk and is one of the most highly respected Nutritionists in Australia.
Two key lessons really stood out for me:
- Spread out your meals: You will expend more calories (ie speed up your metabolism) if you spread your calories out in the day (rather than eating 2-3 larger meals). That’s why if you skip breakfast then eat more than half your daily calories after 4pm, you will probably struggle to lose weight.
- Beware Foods that Drive Hunger: The three main drivers for hunger (ie these things make you want to eat more) is Fat, Sugar, Salt. Food manufacturers know this so they load up food with these things. Chips: Fat and Salt. Chocolate bar: Fat and Sugar – ouch!
Joanna’s top Snack Pics:
- Fruit/veggies: Bananas, Oranges, apples, strawberries, carrot sticks, celery sticks.
- Muesli bars (Be Natural are her top pick). Beware of fat and sugar content.
- Small portion sizes of nuts and seeds.
What are your favourite snacks that follow my guide of SIMPLE – NUTRITIOUS – DELICIOUS?